Upgrades Upgrades Upgrades!

We have finally upgraded to the unity 5 engine. It was a smooth transition (from unity 4) and we haven’t encountered too many bugs. We have also added some steam integration. We can now log into our game and it pulls our steam info so that your character is now unique to your steam account. We use this for account creation at the moment. Hopefully our game gets green lit and we can use this system for our release. However, if we are not greenlit, we have a plan B for our account creation system that we will only need to go into if the situation permits.

Chase has made many Gui updates and interaction additions involving drag and drop mechanics. I’ve been working hard changing over to our new look and I still have several menus and interfaces to update.

Chase also implemented a new movement system. With there being both melee and ranged items we need to make sure that either choice is fun and fair. Running in the same direction that you’re facing gives you increased movement speed. This means that backpedaling players that are shooting with ranged items can be caught easier and creates more strategy for players switching between melee and ranged. There’s also some more math behind this change and I’ll upload a video soon showing our player movement.

We’ve also added a lot of small things such player and mob animations, environment tiles, and story details.

In the next two weeks (we hope) we will start doing balance testing on our first “boss” of sorts. This is very exciting for us because we are going to be having some of our friends test the fight out. This will be the first time we’ve had people outside of ourselves play the game.

I hope the next update will be in video form to give you all a visual look of what we have been working on.

Until next time 🙂

Easter Update: Stash/Inventory system complete (well mostly)

Overdue update! Chase has been plugging away at our checklist of goals for alpha and he completed a big piece this week.  Our stash and inventory system was a big hurdle because of the online dynamic and it’s done (99.9234512%)!. A lot of other features in our game rely’s on that code so it is a huge step for us.

Graphically we’ve changed quiet a bit in the last month.  I’ve been experimenting with all sorts of looks and I’ve finally settled on a style. In our recent posts we’ve shown our main character and items and I’ve decided to have the rest of the world and environments match that pixel art look. Since making that decision I’ve been slowly changing over our gui and adding new content. I’m going to wait to show off what the game looks like currently in motion because of the lack of objects on our environments.

unnamedweapons_demo

One last thing I wanted to show is a mockup of our menu screen/cover. I didn’t quiet finish it (notice the shadow less bear) but I covered the general idea. I’ve handed this over to our friend @tsgrust and he’s been working on his own take. I can’t wait to see what he creates, but until then, here’s my mockup.

beneath_us_cover_fin